- What is a recruitment agency?
- What are the benefits of using recruitment agencies for employees?
- What are the benefits of using recruitment agencies for employers?
- Why should I use Octopus Personnel to recruit?
- How does Octopus Personnel work?
- What is your 100% money-back guarantee?
- Do you charge candidates for your service?
- What is modern slavery and how does Octopus Personnel prevent it?
- What is Payroll?
- I am on temporary assignment. When will I be paid?
- How do I access my payslip?
- What do I do if I need help with my tax?
- Should I be paying into a Pension?
- How do I notify you of a change of circumstances or address?
- How do I change my bank details?
- What should I do if I can’t attend work?
- What do I do if I want to take time off?
- Where can I get further information about Payroll?
1. What is a recruitment agency?
Simply put, Octopus Personnel are match makers!
We put people who want to work in touch with employers who have jobs to offer, however nothing is as simple as it seems.
The trick is making sure that a candidate’s skills, qualifications and personality match those required by clients, it’s this match making ability that Octopus Personnel do so well and why as a consequence we are one of the fastest growing recruitment and employment agencies in the South West of England.
To ensure a perfect match, we personally interview each and every candidate to assess their suitability. If you’re an employer then it’s this attention to detail that ensures you will only see candidates that have met the specified selection criteria. For you the job seeker, it means we can find you the most appropriate job that meets your skills sets, quickly and without fuss.
Through our face-to-face meeting with candidates, we edit and optimise CVs, provide pointers to help candidates prepare for interviews and give post constructive post interview feedback to develop their skills.
Our service is quick, efficient and above all cost effective! What’s our secret? We love what we do and we get a genuine kick out of changing people’s lives for the better and by helping our clients to grow and expand their businesses.
2. What are the benefits of using recruitment agencies for employees?
- We pride ourselves on going that extra mile to understand the culture, challenges and benefits of our client’s businesses, so once we have met you face-to-face to understand your specific job requirements or career needs, we are able to take a lot of the hard work away from you! We can find the right roles and suitable companies you will gel well with.
- We do the introductions for you, so often you don’t have to create a cover letter, saving you time during the application process.
- Working with a recruitment agency to find a job speeds up the job-hunting process. When you register for our job updates, you get first access to the latest roles. You’ll also receive responses and feedback more quickly, too.
- A problem shared is a problem halved. If you are struggling to find a job, speaking to one of our experienced Recruitment Consultants can help to encourage and motivate you; we know the job hunt can be a long old road!
- We are experts at refining your CV, developing your experience and improving interview skills – you’ll have a whole support team! If you are unsuccessful in an interview, we will provide constructive feedback, so you can improve in future interviews.
- If your current skills and qualifications aren’t the right fit for a role, we can recommend training, temporary placements or internships that might help you pursue a certain career path. We can also suggest other job roles that you might not have considered.
3. What are the benefits of using recruitment agencies for employers?
- As we are South West recruitment specialists and have spent years building relationships with our local clients, we have an unrivalled knowledge of the job market, and the challenges and opportunities for businesses within the South West.
- We have an extensive network of registered candidates as well as an ever-growing network fuelled by our social reach. This wide network offers companies a wider talent pool of candidates to choose from.
- Many companies that handle the hiring process internally often rush to hire new employees, particularly if they are under pressure because of a staff member leaving. Our 100% money-back guarantee prevents costly mistakes from being made allows you to recruit with confidence.
- Many recruitment agencies can also provide assistance with employer branding. Especially for small businesses, working with a recruitment agency can be beneficial for marketing a business to candidates and attracting them to the business. For example, we have run Open Days showing-casing the benefits of working for an employer, as well as creating video and social campaigns.
- Working with recruitment agencies saves time and allows you to focus on other areas of your business. Advertising and recruiting for the right staff can be a time-consuming exercise. Sifting through correspondence, selecting candidates and arranging interviews can be a lengthy and expensive process and, when handled internally, a cost which can soon spiral out of control.
- Working with a recruitment agency can also be highly cost-effective. We’ve been successfully interviewing and screening candidates for many years and we know what we are looking for. We pride ourselves on building long term relationships with our clients, so we take the time to get to know the rhythm and demands of your business, understand your culture and the type of candidates who would gel quickly with your team.
4. Why should I use Octopus Personnel to recruit?
At Octopus Personnel, we work hard to set the standard. Here’s how…
We are experts in the local job market and environment. We know the challenges and strengths of the local market and how the industry works; we shape our search to your needs, quickly and efficiently creating job advertisements to entice both active and passive job seekers.
We understand that you want to find the perfect candidate in the shortest time possible, from interview to first day. We personally meet all of our candidates face-to-face. Through learning what makes them tick, we can ensure their personality, skills, qualifications and approach will gel with the demands and culture of your business. We guarantee that we will never recommend a candidate without personally interviewing them first.
Excellent value for money
Octopus Personnel adopts a different approach to calculating permanent placement charges. Other recruiters use a system of scaled percentages, which increase costs dramatically in line with higher value candidate’s starting salaries. We offer a flat rate of 12% of starting salary across all permanent positions.
12-week money-back guarantee* for permanent placements
So confident are we of our service that we will give you a full fee rebate if a candidate resigns, or if you let them go as you feel they are unsuitable, during their first 12 weeks of their employment with you.
References for temporary staff
We take up professional and, when necessary, educational references for all temporary candidates – ensuring you get the right people who can hit the ground running.
To save you time, we include a resume and synopsis of every CV we send you, providing you with information fundamental to the selection process.
We carry out unique assessments of all candidates to ensure that they possess the correct skills and attributes to meet your requirements.
Brief our candidates prior to interview
All candidates are briefed prior to interview so that they know exactly what the job entails, thereby avoiding any misunderstandings about the role. This saves interviewing time, and you are not faced with ill-informed applicants who subsequently withdraw because of ‘surprise elements’ of the role they discover during interview.
No sales targets
For us, it’s not a numbers’ game. We know you’re busy so we’ll ensure you only see appropriate candidates. We won’t keep phoning you to check whether you
Fully-integrated quality control procedures
For all placements, we will ask you to comment on all aspects of our service, as we aim to get it right 100% of the time. This is an easy process via our website, but we invite feedback in all forms.
5. How does Octopus Personnel work?
Octopus Personnel acts as your middleman between businesses and candidates, helping companies to source and hire talent, and helping jobseekers find jobs.
Employers working with Octopus Personnel
Businesses hire us to help them with their recruitment needs because we can streamline the recruitment process; by shortlisting the best applicants for the role and introducing these candidates to the company by setting up job interviews. As we meet each and every one of our candidates face to face, you’ll only ever receive profiles for candidates that we’ve specifically selected against your given criteria – massively reducing your time spent short-listing for interview!
Candidates looking for jobs
You aren’t simply a number to us. We meet you face-to-face to enable us to understand your skills, career interests, and any specific job requirements you may have. Our team of experienced Recruitment Consultants will suggest suitable job roles and help you secure interviews. Our candidate care is very important at Octopus Personnel – we add value by helping you to develop your CV, preparing you for job interviews, providing feedback on any unsuccessful interviews, and enabling you to work on any areas for improvement.
6. What is your 100% money back guarantee?
We are dedicated to providing a first class service and so confident are we in our abilities, we offer a unique 100% money-back guarantee if our candidates don’t meet our clients expectations. If we don’t make the correct match, you’ll get your fee refunded. We don’t want an unhappy client, unhappy candidate and to be out of pocket, so we make sure we get it right! Call us on 01747 825568 to discuss your requirements.
7. Do you charge candidates for your service?
There is no charge to candidates. Our service and support is completely free! Our fees are charged to the employer.
8. What is modern slavery and how does Octopus Personnel prevent it?
At Octopus Personnel, we committed to eliminating the exploitation of people under the Modern Slavery Act 2015 (the Act). Click here to read our Modern Slavery Statement which summarises how Octopus Personnel Limited operates, the policies and processes in place to minimise the possibility of any problems, any risks we have identified and how we monitor them, and how we train our staff.
Slavery is an umbrella term for activities involved when one person obtains or holds another person in compelled service.
Someone is in slavery if they are:
- owned or controlled by an ’employer’, usually through mental or physical abuse or the threat of abuse
- dehumanised, treated as a commodity or bought and sold as ‘property’
- physically constrained or have restrictions placed on his/her freedom
The following definitions are encompassed within the term ‘modern slavery’ for the purposes of the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- ‘slavery’ is where ownership is exercised over a person
- ‘servitude’ involves the obligation to provide services imposed by coercion
- ‘forced or compulsory labour’ involves work or service extracted from any person under the menace of a penalty and for which the person has not offered himself voluntarily
- ‘human trafficking’ concerns arranging or facilitating the travel of another with a view to exploiting them.
For further information please refer to the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
In order to assess the risk of modern slavery, we use the following processes with our suppliers:
When engaging with suppliers, we ask for evidence of their processes and policies, including commitments around modern slavery, human trafficking, forced labour, human rights and whistle-blowing.
After due consideration, we have not identified any significant risks of modern slavery, forced labour, or human trafficking in our supply chain. However, we continue to be alert to the potential for problems.
Additionally, we have taken the following steps to minimise the possibility of any problems:
- We require the businesses we work with to address modern slavery concerns in their policies.
- We collaborate with our suppliers in order to improve standards and transparency across our supply chain.
- Only senior members of staff who have undergone appropriate training for assessing modern slavery risks in the supply chain are authorised to sign contracts and establish commercial relationships in any area where we have identified the potential for risk.
- We ensure that all of our suppliers are members of appropriate industry bodies and working groups.
- We work with GLAA, ALP and REC in order to combat the risk of modern slavery and human trafficking.
Our staff are encouraged to bring any concerns they have to the attention of management.
9. What is Payroll?
Payroll is the process I go through in order to pay our temporary employees.
The term payroll has several different parts:
- The calculation and distribution of wages (physical or electronic) to employees, weekly in Octopus Personnel’s case.
- The financial records for employee wages and salaries, deductions, pay for time not worked (holidays, sick time, etc.) and other items on employee payslips.
- The recording of total earnings of all employees for a company in a financial year.
10. I am on temporary assignment. When will I be paid?
Octopus Personnel pays a week in arrears, which means you will be paid for this week’s work next Friday. Pay Day for all Staff is Friday. Your timesheet must be submitted to Payroll by 10 a.m. on a Monday to enable us to run Payroll and pay you on a Friday.
11. How do I access my payslip?
Your payslip is emailed to you on a Thursday. You should save your payslips, print and file for your future reference.
12. What do I do if I need help with my tax?
Click here to read Donna’s easy guide to Payroll and Tax.
You can check your Income Tax online to see:
- what your tax code is
- if your tax code has changed
- how your tax code is worked out
- how much tax you’re likely to pay.
Unfortunately, we are unable to help if your tax code is incorrect. You need to contact HMRC directly and inform them. If you think your tax code might be wrong, you can use the online check your Income Tax service to tell HMRC about a change in your circumstances.
If you can’t use the online service you can contact HMRC using this link.
13. Should I be paying into a pension?
If you are over 22, have been working for 12 weeks or more, and are eligible, you will be automatically enrolled with NOW Pensions. Your contribution to your pension is listed below tax on your wageslip and the contribution made by Octopus Personnel is listed below that.
When will I be automatically enrolled into the NOW Pension Scheme?
If you are aged over 22, earn over £192 per week and are eligible, you will be automatically enrolled into the pension scheme once you have completed three months on your assignment.
14. How do I notify you of a change of address?
Please email the office email@example.com or call us on 01747 825568.
15. How do I change my bank details?
For GDPR reasons, and to keep your information safe, if you need to change your bank details, please pop into the office or call us on 01747 825568.
We expect each of our workers to have their own bank account in their name. This is one of the ways that we ensure none of our worker are exposed to the risks of modern slavery. Read more about Modern Slavery and how we prevent it here.
16. What should I do if I can’t attend work?
If you are unable to attend work for reasons of sickness, you should contact our office on 01747 825568 at least an hour before your normal start time on the first day of absence. It is your responsibility to keep Octopus Personnel informed of the status of your illness, and to provide the appropriate sickness certification. Unfortunately, we can not accept sickness notification via email or text message; we must speak to you.
17. What do I do if I want to take time off?
Please contact us in writing if you wish to book annual leave. The ‘holiday year’ runs from the 1st April to 31st March of the following year.
18. Where can I get further information about Payroll?
Octopus Personnel Head Office: 01747 825568
HMRC Tax Office: 0300 200 3300
Student Finance England – Student Loans: 0300 100 0607
National Insurance – Dept. Work & Pensions: 0345 6000643